[How-To] Motorola Milestone Official Froyo Android 2.2 upgrade
As we all know that the Froyo (Android 2.2) has been released officially for Motorola Milestone and as mentioned on their site, the device can be upgraded using Motorola Software Updater (MSU).
After trying the official upgrade steps and reflashing back and forth my Milestone for 8 times and every time getting stuck at Milestone boot screen, I have finally decided not to go with official procedure and rather do with the nandroid restore. And guess what, I was successful in the first attempt itself. So I decided to put this guide so that others can also take the advantage of that. My Milestone is stable with all functionality after the Froyo upgrade.
Note: Before we start I would like to say that these instructions will only work with Motorola Milestone (GSM) version not on Motorola Droid.
About the device
My Motorola Milestone was running with Android 2.1 EU rom (custom flashed as mentioned in my earlier post).
To upgrade Motorola Milestone to Froyo, we would be requiring some tools and utilities
1. OpenRecovery v1.14 – OpenRecovery is a nice and advanced utility above ADBRecovery which allows you to run your device in the recovery mode so that you can do nice thingy on devices such as rooting it, taking backup, restoring etc. Download Link
2. RSD Lite v4.6 – RSD Lite is used for flashing/upgrading or feature programming Motorola products. Download Link
3. Vulnerable Recovery SBF image – This is a little file which is essential for our process. The bootloader process in Motorola devices running Android is locked by Motorola so that in case of any firmware flashing over the device, it should be digitally signed by Motorola with company’s digital signature. To overcome this limitation, we have to flash a vulnerable recovery image (SBF) to Motorola milestone to make the unrootable firmware, rootable. Download Link
4. Android SDK – Android SDK is required to install the USB drivers for the device and run some command via adb shell on our Milestone device. Download Link
5. Froyo ROM – Finally, a official Froyo (Android 2.2) EU rom in our case as the GSM bands of EU is equivalent to mine’s. Download Link
Required Steps for Flashing Official Froyo ROM on Motorola Milestone:
1. For the initial steps, please visit my earlier post “Root and Flash Custom ROM on Motorola Milestone running Android 2.1″ and follow the steps from 1 – 14 and then come back and follow below steps
2. Once backup is complete, we are ready to flash our milestone with official Froyo rom. Extract the Froyo EU rom which we have downloaded earlier and copy the folder “Froyo-20110323-0148” to your Milestone’s /sdcard/nandroid/adbrecovery folder under same name. We will do that using adb again but this time with adb push command. The command would be
adb push c:\Froyo-20110323-0148 /sdcard/nandroid/adbrecovery/Froyo-20110323-0148
16. After running this command successfully and copying all the files into sdcard, restart your mobile in the recovery mode again with following command
adb reboot recovery
17. Once Milestone is started in recovery mode, navigate to OpenRecovery menu by pressing VOLUME UP button with CAMERA button. On the OpenRecovery menu, we will first wipe all the data which we have earlier so that it doesn’t interfere with the new rom. Run all wipe commands one by one i.e. Wipe Dalvik Cache, Wipe Data/ Factory Reset, Wipe Cache Partition from OpenRecovery menu.
18. Finally, now we can flash our Milestone with Android 2.2 (Froyo) rom. Select “Nandroid Restore” from the OpenRecovery menu and select the “Froyo-20110323-0148” folder for the path to get the restore images. This will flash the Milestone with the new rom. Once completed, also run “Root Phone” to root the Froyo EU rom image also which will enable you to do more customization on the Milestone device.
Reboot your Milestone with Reboot System in OpenRecovery menu and now you can get the your Motorola Milestone device powered with Android 2.2 (Froyo) and completely rooted so that you can overclock it any time you require.
Let me know if you have trouble in any of the step. Enjoy